Agewell Foundation’s appeal to the PM & NAC
“Initiate older persons-friendly projects to address growing needs of older persons”
On the occasion of International Day for Older Persons (1st Oct. 2011), Agewell Foundation*, an NGO working for the welfare and empowerment of older persons across India, on behalf of over 100 million older persons of the country has appealed to the Prime Minister of India and Chairperson, National Advisory Committee to initiate and implement some unique projects in the country. These recommendations are based upon several surveys & research studies conducted by Agewell Foundation from time to time over the years.
In its representations sent to the PM and Chairperson, NAC, Agewell Foundation has requested to do the following to address the growing needs of ever increasing older persons of India
· Establishment of a National Institute for Aged on the lines of AIIMS for treatment and research in age related ailments.
· Setting up of National Fund for the Aged (on the lines of National Fund for Rural Development).
· Issue of Special identity-cum-credit cards for the Older Persons (credit could be linked to the amount deposited or pension dues.)
· Setting up of National Commission for the Aged. (on the lines of NHRC to advice various ministries/departments on Older Persons friendly policies and protect the interests of the aged)
· Prime Minister’s Self-Employment Scheme for the aged.
· Setting up of a National Institute for Promotion of Entrepreneurship amongst the Aged.
· Setting up of Foundation for revitalization of traditions and oral knowledge.
· Enactment of Older Persons’ Justice Act.
· A scheme for establishing Aged Women’s Hostel on the lines of working women Hostels in each district.
· Arrangement for Temporary shelters for the aged in each district.
Simultaneously, Agewell Foundation appeals to NGOs, Individuals and concerned stakeholders involved in welfare activities for older persons to join Agewell Foundation’s first-ever consortium of NGOs & Stakeholders across SAARC countries, which has been set up to advocate for the needs & rights of 160 million older persons from this region, in the international arena.
For more details about Agewell Foundation, you may visit our website www.agewellfoundation.org*In Special Consultative Status with ECOSOC, United Nations