Agewell launches InteractWell - A Social Networking Site for Senior Citizens
August 10th, 2009, New Delhi: Agewell Foundation is engaged in the welfare and well being of elders and senior citizens in the country for over a decade. It has promoted & participated in numerous schemes and program for the furthering of the cause of the welfare of the elders. Agewell is confirmed in its views that the foundation of a healthy society is strong and caring family which has intergenerational value sharing.
On behest of Smt. Sheila Dikshit, a dedicated social networking site ‘InteractWell’ for older people is being launched by Agewell Foundation. The initiative will enable the elderly to not only come together and interact but also to share their view regarding different spheres of life with each other and their kith & kin, across the globe.
‘InteractWell’ will be a part of Agewell’s website www.agewellfoundation.org .This site will deliver the following services to the older people:
• Interaction with persons of their choice
• Emotional support
• Interpersonal relationship advisory
• Financial advisory
• Legal support
• Religious discourse
• Good case studies, etc.
To make the website more interactive as well as interesting while utilizing untapped potential of senior citizens, many more user friendly links will be added to it to suit the requirements of the senior citizens.
Some of the salient features of ‘InteractWell’ will be as follows:
- Older Women Forum – Dedicated to older women (Phone-Chat: Phone numbers of older women will be given, who are not net savvy or could not chat online but want to interact with other older women)
- Care-givers Forum (Interaction amongst family members of Old people, Data of professional/ volunteer caregivers, locality/expertise wise, useful tips for caregivers, data of older persons who are in need of care-givers)
- Health Advisory- General health care tips for senior citizens.
- Financial Advisory – frequently asked questions on financial matters
- Legal Advisory – Tips of most common legal issues.
- Individual questions will be answered after consultation with forum of experts.
- Even a link to light hearted humor/jokes/comedy
- Upcoming Events in the area - To keep older persons busy in social/cultural activities.
According to Chairman of Agewell Foundation, Himanshu Rath, “In today’s fast paced life, social networking sites are getting popularity worldwide. This site will definitely help older persons to find like-minded people and interact with them. Now they can easily get in touch with their family members, relatives & friends sitting far from their place. This site will also act as a bridge between generations”
Older people have been looking for such initiatives for a long time. They expressed their gratitude towards Smt. Sheila Dikshit, who has encouraged Agewell Foundation to initiate “InteractWell” for them.
The focus is also for sensitizing the younger generation towards their responsibilities through this networking site. This needs educating and creating awareness in younger generation of the important facets of contribution of elders to their life welfare & well being for healthy maintenance of family relationship in society. When a younger generation establishes healthy tradition of respecting, loving & looking after their elders they are making an investment in their own future and old age because their conduct will be followed by their offspring who will be responsible for welfare of today’s youth, the elders of tomorrow. Networking thus creates multiple impacts & outcomes.